Friday, June 24, 2011

I KNOW. It's Been FOREVER.

The problem is, I just have way too many projects on my to-do list.

The shed:
Done except for paint on the soffits and a couple of pieces of trim.
The whole tree incident, other than causing the finished product to be slightly less perfectly level than it was prior, turned out to have gone about as well as a tree falling on anything could have, so once Spring rolled around we were basically ready to hit it with roofing and siding.

I went with the same Hardi-panel siding and exposed fastener design we did on the house, along with some corrugated, galvanized roofing leftovers. It took some thought, but we managed to use up just about everything we had in the way of scraps of both siding and metal, so it's a win all around.
shed front unpainted

The big picture window frame got painted red for a pop of color, and the rest the same grey as the house.
For another couple of hundred bucks in lumber, we carpenter-ed up the rest of the wrap around porch and a ramp topped off with some lovely cedar decking, and I now have the perfect spot for some outdoor lounging...as soon as I find the a great set of chairs and side table.
shed with deck

With some patio pots added. Still waiting for paint on the soffits, but an excellent deal has been scored on some porch chairs and once those arrive, I have no more excuses. And it needs to stop raining every day, of course.
Modern Shed, Almost done!
I need to do something to screen the view of the shed contents through the windows. I was originally planning to hang a curtain across the front, inside, because I like the idea of making it seem like more of a little cottage, but now I've thought of the idea of using frost film directly on the windows and I'm waffling between the two.
Shocking, I know.

So, moving on to the next item on our DIY menu...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bad case of shed envy can be had cheap over here! Your house and outdoor projects are so inspirational.

The idea of having shed curtains to care for boggles the mind. The frosted contact "paper" appeals a lot. What about applying it in a design? strips to mimic the galvanized stripes? Checkers? Faux drapes? Big words ("door", "window")? Graphic shapes (tools, flowers, grasses, lawn chairs, bicycles)?

Mirror-finish solar film could work, too.

Or maybe hire a window painter? Or paint your own curtains?

The possibilities abound!

9:20 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

I was thinking sunbrella or something similarly outdoor friendly for the drape to keep it lower (or zero other than an occasional hose-down) maintenance. I do like the idea of a window film, but it's just such a PITA to put on. And expensiv-er. And I hate how it's then a permanent view vs. drapes...
Alas, this is not at the top of my to-do list so I guess I can mull it for a while.
Thanks for the thoughts!

7:37 AM  
Blogger toufic said...

I ran into a similar cost issue with the frost film, so I went ahead with a spray on window frost that I picked up for about $6. If you get creative with the painter's tape you can make all sorts of designs.

Just one word of warning, maybe tent with a plastic paint drop cloth so when you do spray the resulting powder doesn't drift everywhere.

Not certain quite how permanent it is, i.e. given a determined razor blade how well it'd hold up but it's definitely an option :-)

Long time reader, love everything you've done

9:51 AM  
Blogger splatgirl said...

Love the spray on frost stuff idea--I hadn't thought of that. Seems simple and cheap enough that it would be worth a try even if it doesn't last forever.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Salty said...

Hi, I learned everything I know about turnbuckles from you....You can use very dry whipped up soapsuds with a sponge to sponge over the inside, and when it dries it will be a frost effect. Not sure how it would work in damp climate, but it can be removed easily.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back!
I am about simple window coverings Something I have used -How about handmade paper (with little botanicals in it) with a 3m removable clear sticky-thang. Pretty and cheap.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Lily said...

Just stumbled upon your blog but love that this is in MN. I lived in rural MN for many years and thought the whole state was full of nothing but split levels. Love what you're doing :)

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home